Skip to main content

Deployment failed for file for PowerBI Tier2 Environment Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations

There is a requirement in a client to create a custom report of PowerBI and embed it in Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations.

So, I started searching on google and found 3 ways to connect PowerBI with Dynamics 365 Finance and Operation.

  • OData (Direct call data entity)

  • Azure DB (Export from BYOD)

  • Entity Store (Create Measure to direct query from D365 Finance and Operations)

So, I saw Microsoft is using Entity Store to connect their standard (OOB) PowerBI report with D365 Finance and Operations.

I have created a new PowerBI app registration in dev instance and configure in Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations.

then create Measure with my required dimension and build the project to show the Measure in Entity store.

After clicking refresh, I can see my Measure tables in the AxDW table.


I had another issue. After refreshing Measure there was no Refresh log created in Tier 2 environment.

So, I found the Full reset batch job is in Cancelled state, so I just changed the status on waiting and Refresh the Measure again.

Then I upload the custom PowerBI report (.pibx) in http://lcs.dynamics.com/v2 which shows in Deploy Power BI files in Dynamics 365 finance and Operations.



then try to deploy the PowerBI report from the Deploy Power BI files   from the D365 Finance and Operations and got the error Deployment failed for file.

I didn't find any solutions to do enough research on google, so I created Microsoft support tickets and found the solution.

I made a PowerBI report on the new version of PowerBI desktop which has a preview feature and did not support in D365 finance and operation. 

And Microsoft recommended to create the PowerBI report Earlier versions of Power BI Desktop (prior to September 2020 update).

I uninstalled the latest PowerBI desktop and installed the older(August) version and created the same report in the older version to fix this issue.

Reference Link:

  • Old version can be downloaded at

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive

  • Power BI Direct query

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-use-directquery

  • Measure in finance and Operations

https://organicax.com/2017/08/09/building-a-measure-to-publish-to-the-entity-store-part-6/


Comments

  1. I feel Power BI always helps solving some related tools and complexities which eventually break them down into various pieces or parts.Thank you so much blogger for putting up this long and descriptive post and putting up everything meticulously.

    Powerbi Read Rest



    ReplyDelete
  2. None of the pictures are visible. Can you please upload them.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi All, PLEASE. None of the pictures are visible. Can you please upload them.

      Delete
  3. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.

    powerbi read rest

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this. But one quick question, how do we know the database connection strings for Tier 2 environments that we need to feed it for PBIX files to point it to respective environments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you dont need to feed the connection string in Tier 2 environment. when you deploy the PIBX file from Finops this will automatically set the connection string.

      Delete
    2. Rizwan, I'm attempting to just publish the out of the box Content Packs and I continue to get the Deployment error. What am I missing? Are there other steps I need to go through because I'm just trying to get the base OOTB reports to show up in the Analytical workspaces. Please let me know as I'm completely stuck at this point and I've followed all of the Microsoft Guidance and I'm not finding a solution to current situation.

      Delete

Post a Comment